Analysis & testing
Analyses & measurements of radioactive materials
The long-standing experience of SCK CEN enables us to determine the chemical and radiochemical composition of even the most complex materials and samples.
Low-level radioactivity measurements
SCK CEN specialises in measuring radioactivity and low-level radioactivity in particular. The research centre identifies the type of radiation: alpha and beta radiation consisting of particles and gamma radiation which consists of electromagnetic waves. It also determines its radioactivity. Why are these analyses so important? By measuring low levels of radioactivity, we are checking whether the legal limits are observed (e.g. in the food production).
Do you need measurements?
SCK CEN does not only take measurements for the Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain (FASFC), the Federal Agency for Nuclear Control (FANC) and the nuclear industry. It also makes its services and expertise available to everyone.
We specialise in the monitoring and quantifying of radioactivity in:
- Human food, animal feed and food supplements
- Drinking water and water for human consumption
- Environmental samples (surface water, rainwater, air, soil, sediments, vegetation)
- Biotest samples (nasal mucus, urine, faeces) for routine follow-up of professionally exposed employees or for special monitoring
- NORM samples (e.g. input materials and/or waste materials from the production processes within the NORM industry)
- Samples of low-level radioactive waste
Use the universal form to ask for specific analyses.