Why would you choose to perform your PhD research at SCK CEN?
- Academic & research-oriented: SCK CEN ensures a close cooperation with the academic sector, combined with the unique character of our international research environment. You will work together with supportive experienced experts and use innovative facilities, specifically designed for nuclear experiments.
- Multidisciplinary research: Your PhD is inextricably linked with other areas of expertise, either because of the versatile character of your own subject, or indirectly thanks to knowledge exchanges with colleagues.
- Excellent training centre: SCK CEN is proud of its own SCK CEN Academy, which organises our own internal training courses. Obviously, you can also benefit from these opportunities and the Academy’s excellent reputation.
How do I apply for a PhD research programme?
As a PhD student, you must have been accepted by a pre-established university that supports your subject. Although you do your PhD at this specific university, you will spend the major part of your time in our research centre in Mol.
- Deadline for your application: 25 March 2020
- Pre-selection based on your application file: 27 April 2020
- Oral presentation of your research subject: 18-19-20 May 2020
- Notification of final result: 30 June 2020
- Default starting date: 01 October 2020
What if I am selected?
If you’ve been chosen as a PhD candidate, you can expect an email from the SCK CEN Academy and from your mentor(s) and supervisor(s). To complete your registration as PhD student, you will have to go through some administrative steps.
Doing a PhD with NIRAS
To promote research into radioactive waste and disposal issues, SCK CEN and NIRAS, the Belgian Agency for Radioactive Waste and Enriched Fissile Materials, also have some joint PhD theses on offer.
A professional jury with experts from NIRAS, EURIDICE and SCK CEN will assess your application. Upon a positive assessment, you will be invited to come and present your research subject orally. The dates for these presentations have already been established.
The PhD community @SCK CEN
The buddy system
Your buddy – a fellow PhD student of SCK CEN – will welcome you and give you a guided tour on and around the site. Do you still have questions about administrative formalities or procedures? Or are you looking for someone who can lead you the way in and around Mol? Your buddy will come to the rescue.
SCK CEN organises a welcoming event for all new PhD students, buddies, mentors and university supervisors. We present our research programmes and training activities and round off the day with a speed dating session to get to know your fellow PhD students.
Training courses, summer schools & conferences
SCK CEN Academy offers a wide range of courses and lectures that you as a PhD student can attend. What is in our portfolio? Scientific-technical information sessions, language courses and classes to improve your personal skills. Summer schools to study a subject in more depth. You will also have the opportunity to attend conferences and workshops and present your own research results.
Twice a year, SCK CEN organises its PhD Days, during which PhD researchers present their studies. These are days of discussion between young scientists, their supervisors and mentors but also colleagues from universities, the Scientific Board and the management of SCK CEN will join in. The attendance of PhD students and their mentors is compulsory.
De residentiewijk van SCK CEN
Ga ja aan de slag bij SCK CEN? Dan is een verblijf dichtbij de site mogelijk interessant. SCK CEN biedt verschillende kamers. De residentiewijk is gevestigd op een uniek groendomein van 334 hectare. Je vindt er ook het Lakehouse: het hotel, restaurant, bar en conferentiecenter van SCK CEN.