ONLINE | FOREvER Summer SchoolInscrivez-vous
The European project LEU-FOREvER (Low Enriched Uranium Fuels fOR REsEarch Reactors) aims to secure a reliable fuel supply for the European research reactors. They are essential for the current and future European R&D and industry activities in a large number of basic and applied research fields. In the LEU-FOREvER project the optimisation of manufacturing process (up to the desing of pilot equipment) and modelling of the in-pile behaviour of UMo fuels are studied.
The project is led by a consortium consisting of CEA (Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique et aux Energies Alternatives), CVR (Centrum výzkumu Řež), Framatome, ILL (Institut Laue-Langevin), NCBJ (Narodowe Centrum Badań Jądrowych), TechnicAtome, TUM (Technische Universität München) and SCK•CEN (Studiecentrum voor Kernenergie – Centre d’Etude de l’Energie Nucléaire).
Given that one of the tasks of the program is related to education and training, a summer school is being organized. The school aims at
- Increasing general knowledge of research reactor fuels;
- Improving understanding of research reactor fuel performance;
- Understanding operation and safety of research reactors;
- Increasing awareness of utilization of research reactors.
During a the summer school a visit to the BR2 reactor at SCK CEN is foreseen.
This project has received funding from the Euratom research and training programme 2014-2018 under grant agreement No 754378.
During the summer school, the following topics will be treated:
- Overview of different research reactors (design, construction, operation, decomissioning);
- What research reactors are used for (types of scientific experiments, irradiations, radioisotopes, …);
- Fuels used in research reactors;
- Fuel cycle: from production till disposal of used fuel;
- Conversion from High Enriched Uranium (HEU) to Low Enriched Uranium (LEU);
- Numerical simulations of research reactors fuels;
- Safety issues.
The target audience consists of senior Masters students (Physics, Nuclear engineering, Material Science, …), PhD students and young professionals working in the area of research reactors.
Résultats de l'apprentissage
Upon successful completion of the summer school, participants will be able to:
- Identify and communicate the key purposes and uses of research reactors (RR);
- Recognize examples of neutron beam scientific experiments;
- Identify examples of irradiation testing and in RR;
- Define the types of fuels used by RR around the world;
- Illustrate the RR fuel cycle from fabrication to disposal;
- Recognize and understand LEU conversion RR projects;
- Observe a working RR and post-irradiation examination (PIE) facility.
The registration fee and accommodation cost for selected participants are supported by the FOREvER project. This project has received funding from the Euratom research and training programme 2014-2018 under grant agreement No 754378.
Participants are however requested to make their own travel arrangements.
Informations sur l'inscription
You can register by clicking on the registration button above until December 14, 2020.
A CV and a short motivation letter (max 1 page) should be received by December 14, 2020. Please send these documents to academy [at] sckcen [dot] be. Acceptance of your registration will be confirmed not later than January 8, 2021.
During this summer school, two visits will be foreseen. In order to gain access to the technical domain, the SCK CEN Academy needs an official criminal record from the country of residence. This document has to be translated by a certified translator in Dutch, English or French.
All documents have to be send to academy [at] sckcen [dot] be before December 14, 2020. For documents that are send after this deadline, we cannot guarantee access.
Safety of learners and lecturers is our priority. We plan to proceed with the organisation of the School on the foreseen date. However, if due to the COVID-19 outbreak we need to postpone the School, participants will not have to pay any costs. Therefore we strongly encourage you to apply now and complete all administrative requirements in order to guarantee access to the venue!
SCK•CEN reserves the right to cancel a training course or event (e.g. in case of low number of registrations) without reimbursement of already made travel and accommodation arrangements.
The summer school is held at the SCK CEN Lakehouse. Hotel rooms are pre-booked at the Corbie hotel in Mol from Sunday October 18 until Thursday October 23, 2020 (breakfast included – 5 nights). It is foreseen for students to stay in double rooms. The room will be shared with a person from the same gender. If you wish to have a single room, please clearly mention this with the reservation. Please confirm your reservation directly at the hotel (mol [at] corbiehotel [dot] com and academy [at] sckcen [dot] be) before September 7, 2020. Be sure to mention clearly your name, check-in and check-out date and the code word “FOREVER”.