Workshop: Scientific dating - an encounter across disciplines
Do you enjoy breaking barriers by collaborating across disciplines? Are you eager to explore the broader context of your research?
Meet, mingle and match with your fellow students and scientists by joining us at a unique Scientific dating workshop!
The Belgian Comic Strip Center - Museum Brussels
Rue des Sables 20
1000 Brussels, Belgium
Research is becoming ever more collaborative and inclusive. This workshop matches you with scientists from different disciplines with the purpose of sharing insights on, and approaches to, research involving nuclear topics.
Connect and integrate different perspectives and forms of knowledge, stimulate your critical thinking and explore new ways to develop collaborative projects!
During two days, participants will:
- Debate about the opportunities and challenges of working across disciplines and with various stakeholders
- Formulate a research problem in a transdisciplinary perspective
- Identify stakeholders and their potential role in the research process
- Explore ways to collaborate outside your own discipline
- Practice how to present your research to a wider audience
Participants will work in small groups on a selected topic of choice.
- Small Modular Reactors (SMRs)
- Reuse of NORM (Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials) residues resulting from industrial processes
- Management of nuclear emergencies and post-accident recovery
- Management of high level radioactive waste
- Medical applications: mammography screening
More information about the topics will be provided prior to the workshop.
This workshop brings together MSc students, PhD students and junior researchers from natural and social science disciplines with an interest in nuclear science.
The aim of the two-day workshop is to stimulate reflection on research topics and practices across disciplinary boundaries in ways that are often overlooked in the training of young researchers. The programme uses a highly interactive approach that stimulates both individual and mutual learning.
Thursday October 5, 2023
- Scientific speed dating
- Discussion and debate on transdisciplinarity
- Social dinner in the evening
Friday October 6, 2023
- Designing a transdisciplinary research project in teams
- Peer evaluation and poster presentation
The full programme will be available soon.
This workshop is organised by the SCK CEN Academy in collaboration with SCK CEN’s Programme for Integration of Social and Ethical Aspects into Nuclear Research, under the framework of the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement 101061677 (ENEN2plus).
Participation is free of charge, but submission of a duly completed application file is mandatory (see registration info).
Informations sur l'inscription
To apply for this workshop, please send us a motivation letter by e-mail to academy [at] sckcen [dot] be and cturcanu [at] sckcen [dot] be, including a short CV and top three list of topics (see above).
- Deadline for application: July 7, 2023
- Notification for acceptance: July 14, 2023
A joint accommodation plan for all participants will be provided.
More information will be available soon.
Mr Jakob Luyten
SCK CEN Academy for Nuclear Science and Technology
Tel.: + 32 14 33 88 55
E-mail: academy [at] sckcen [dot] be
This workshop is organised by the SCK CEN Academy and NST unit with the support of the European Union funded project ENEN2plus.
Views and opinions expressed are however those of the authors only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union or the European Commission. Neither the European Union nor the European Commission can be held responsible for them.
Please note that the workshop could be recorded and pictures can be taken. In principle only general pictures and images will be taken. If you ask a question or give a comment, also your voice will be recorded. The SCK CEN may share these records on its website or via its network for educational and promotion purposes. Your registration for this workshop constitutes an explicit consent with regard to this processing of your personal data.