Training course on radioactive waste managementRegister
This intensive unique seven day course will give a comprehensive overview of different aspects involved in the management of radioactive waste. The course modules will handle operational radioactive waste management during collection, characterization, conditioning, transport and (interim) storage.
Course topics will focus on international best practices and regulations, national and international state-of-the-art. The course benefits from expertise from the point of view of waste producers, waste management organisations and nuclear regulators.
In each aspect of the course, theory is combined with technical visits to allow participants to experience how guidelines and best practices are translated to the field.
The course can be followed in full, or participants may choose to follow only particular days/modules.
The following topics will be treated:
- Origin, types of radioactive waste
- National and international regulations
- Safety principles and strategies
- Collection and handling of unconditioned waste
- Waste conditioning techniques
- Waste classification and characterisation
- Interim storage of waste
- Visits are foreseen to different facilities at:
- SCK CEN: dealing with collection, characterisation and storage of unconditioned waste;
- Belgoprocess: dealing with waste conditioning, characterisation and long-term/ interim storage.
Second week (Monday-Tuesday):
- Waste transport
- Management of used sources
- Waste acceptance criteria and accreditation process in Belgium
- Interfaces between the Belgian nuclear operator and the waste management organisation
- Case studies: waste management during decommissioning
- Case studies: management of problematic waste forms
Students and professionals in radioactive waste management.
The full programme can be downloaded here:
A scientific-technical background is required (master in science or engineering).
There is no preparation needed for this training course.
Upon completion of this training course, the participant will be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge on the general classification of nuclear waste and the basic principles of radioactive waste management;
- translate these basic principles of radioactive waste management into good practices;
- demonstrate knowledge on the interrelations of the different actors in the nuclear field related to this waste management (nuclear regulator, waste management organization);
- demonstrate knowledge on radioactive waste characterization and conditioning techniques;
- demonstrate the understanding of the Belgian case: the acceptation and accreditation system of NIRAS/ONDRAF.
The registration fee amounts to 4000,00 EUR (4840,00 EUR 21% VAT included).
Due to the safety regulations and access modalities of the different installations, you can register until November 2, 2020.
The registration fee for the course includes:
- Participation to the course, practical exercises and technical visits;
- Coffee breaks and lunches during the course;
- Training material;
- Certificate of attendance.
Dinner is not foreseen during this course week. Cancellation with total refund is only possible until November 5, 2020. No-shows and cancellations after the deadline will incur the full cost of the registration fee (for course and hotel).
When registering, the SCK CEN Academy will send you a separate e-mail with further instructions related to your payment.
If you would need further assistance, please contact academy [at] sckcen [dot] be.
We attach great importance to the safety of our trainees. SCK CEN has the right to modify the programme, cancel or postpone the training course at any time based on further instructions imposed by the Belgian government or internal instructions by the SCK CEN General Management related to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Accommodation is pre-booked at the Corbie hotel in Mol. Your hotel booking must be confirmed before November 5, 2020 by email to mol [at] corbiehotel [dot] be and academy [at] sckcen [dot] be.
Please mention your contact data, the check-in and check-out date and the name of the course 'Training course on radioactive waste management'. Indicate whether you wish to stay in a double (99 EUR/night for 2 persons) or single (74 EUR/night) room. In a double room you will share the room with a person of the same gender.