Basic training in radiation protectionRegister
Since the early discoveries by Henri Becquerel, Marie Curie, Ernest Rutherford and many others, a deep insight into the risks and benefits of applying radioactivity in daily commercial and research practice has been build up. The scientific world of radiation protection is in constant motion. It is triggered by new research as well as by developments and events in the daily industrial and medical sector. In addition, national and international standards, regulations and guidelines aim at steering daily practice and procedures that guarantee the protection of workers, the public and the environment.
This 5 day training course treats the basic physics of radioactive phenomena and ionizing radiation and provides an overview of its most common applications. It shares the most recent knowledge on personal and environmental dosimetry and detection techniques, emergency management and biological effects of ionizing radiation. In addition, it focusses on the legal aspects regarding the use of ionizing radiation.
Theoretical classes are complemented by practical exercises on the use of radiation measurement devices and the correct application of personal protective equipment. A technical visit to one of SCK CEN's laboratories enrich and illustrate the acquired knowledge with the practice of real-life situations.
As working with nuclear technology requires not only technical knowledge but also an insight into the societal issues, a module is provided in which thinking and discussion about the philosophical and ethical dimensions of justifying and using nuclear technology is stimulated.
- Radioactivity and nuclear physics;
- Interaction of radiation with matter;
- Dosimetry concepts ;
- Radiation and dose measurements;
- Legislation and practice of the ALARA philosophy;
- Practical use of measurement devices;
- Biological effects of ionizing radiation;
- Ethical aspects of radiation protection;
- Radon and increased natural radioactivity;
- Incidents and accidents, emergency management;
- PPE and contamination.
The training is intended for persons (Master students, PhD students, professionals) working with radioactive materials or managing nuclear activities in their professional environment and requiring insight in fundamental and practical aspects of radiological protection.
This training session is eligible for 30 hours of continuous professional development in radiation protection for the prolongation of the certification of Medical Doctors for medical supervision (Art. 75 Royal Decree 20 July 2001).
Depending on the relevance for the personal function, this training session is also eligible as continuous professional development for experts in Health Physics (Art. 73 Royal Decree 20 July 2001).
A certificate of attendance will be provided after the training course.
The full programme can be downloaded here:
There is no knowledge required.
No preparation needed.
Upon completion of the course, participants will:
In terms of knowledge
- know and understand the origin, properties and applications of ionizing radiation;
- name and explain the interaction mechanisms between radiation and matter;
- name the main health risks related to exposure to ionizing radiation;
- understand and explain the fundamental principles of the radiation protection system and its applications, as laid down in national and international legislation;
- have insight in the organization of radiation protection in regular and emergency situations;
- understand the different dosimetric quantities;
- know different measurement methods and equipment for environmental and personal dosimetry;
- know the characteristics of radon and naturally occurring radioactive materials.
In terms of skills
- be able to use different measurement devices to characterize sources an measure doses;
- apply proper dose reduction measures: reduce exposure time, increase distance, and select and calculate shielding;
- be able to develop contextual and ethical reasoning as a relevant skill when considering radiation protection issues.
In terms of competences
- apply the main principles of operational radiation protection on the work floor on a daily basis;
- be aware of the complexity of nuclear applications.
Registration price 2030,00 EUR (2456,30 EUR 21% VAT included)
This price include courses, course material, lunches at SCK CEN cafeteria, coffee breaks and transport between Corbie hotel and SCK CEN. Accommodation is pre-booked at Corbie hotel in Mol (see ‘Accommodation’)
You can register using the button above until October 19, 2020.
Cancellation with total refund is only possible until October 19, 2020. Cancellation requests must be sent by email to academy [at] sckcen [dot] beand mol [at] corbiehotel [dot] com no later than October 19, 2020. No shows and cancellations after this date will incur the full cost of registration and the hotel.
The training will focus on interaction and dialogue. For this reason, the number of participants will be limited to 25.
SCK CEN reserves the right to cancel a training course or event (e.g. in case of low number of registrations) without reimbursement of already made travel and accommodation arrangements.
We attach great importance to the safety of our trainees. SCK CEN has the right to modify the programme, cancel or postpone the training course at any time based on further instructions imposed by the Belgian government or internal instructions by the SCK CEN General Management related to the current COVID-19 pandemic.’
Accommodation is pre-booked at Corbie hotel in Mol from Sunday November 15 until November 19, 2020 (breakfast included – 5 nights). Hotel booking must be confirmed before October 19, 2020 by email to mol [at] corbiehotel [dot] com and academy [at] sckcen [dot] be.
Please mention your contact data, the check-in and check-out date and the name of the course ‘Basic training in radiation protection’. Indicate whether you wish to stay in a twin (495 EUR - total for 2 persons) or single (370 EUR) room. In a twin room (2 single beds) you will share the room with a person of the same gender. You pay your stay directly to the hotel.