Senior Embedded System Engineer
- elaborate requirements with system users
- participate in the design of critical core systems and concepts
- technical follow-up of external partners
- based in Mol
We are ready to build this accelerator. Are you?
MYRRHA will be the world’s first sub-critical, particle accelerator-driven reactor to safely produce nuclear energy while solving the nuclear waste issue. But there’s still a lot of work to be done, such as constructing MINERVA – the project’s first implementation phase that consists of a 100 MeV high-power, superconducting particle accelerator and a proton target facility for the development of (new) medical radioisotopes. The beam commissioning of this accelerator facility is scheduled for 2026.
As a Senior Embedded System Engineer, you will be responsible for defining component requirements of the software-based control and interlock systems (CIS) for the accelerator and proton target facilities. You will also follow-up the design, implementation and acceptance activities performed by external partners and execute integration tests. For this, you will report to the MINERVA ICS group leader and work very closely with other groups and external partners.
- elaborate requirements with system users for design and development by external partners
- participate in and contribute to the design of critical core systems and concepts with focus on firmware, Linux based platforms and customized printed circuit boards
- technical follow-up of external partners including review (documents, code) and acceptance
- set-up integration test stands and perform integration tests with users
- create training material and guidelines to unify development activities (programming language, repository layouts, user interface and unit testing)
- coach and train users, primarily software and electronic engineers of external partners to follow in-house processes and guidelines
To join this frontier, you'll need
- a Master’s degree or higher in Computer Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of work experience as an embedded software/system engineer
- previous experience in software projects deployed on embedded, real-time or industrial hardware, ideally an accelerator control system project using EPICS, Qt, (real-time) Linux and White Rabbit or Micro-Research Finland based timing systems
- very good knowledge in firmware development, for example VHDL or Verilog
- good knowledge of software patterns applied in an embedded systems language, for example C
- experience with automated testing for embedded systems
- knowledge in modelling languages, preferably Unified Modelling Language (UML)
- basic knowledge of version control systems (as user), for example Git
- excellent people management and interpersonal skills
- spoken and written knowledge of English with the ability to draw up and review technical texts.