- define the remote handling strategy
- design hot cells and remote handling solutions
- experience with 3D CAD modelling environments
- master of Science in electromechanical engineering
We are ready to build this accelerator. Are you?
MYRRHA will be the world’s first sub-critical, particle accelerator -driven reactor, cooled by a lead-bismuth eutectic. Our main mission is to build MYRRHA and use it as a research reactor. But there’s still a lot of work to be done, such as constructing MINERVA – the project’s first phase that consists of a particle accelerator and a proton target facility (PTF). The commissioning of this accelerator facility is scheduled for 2026. Along with large teams of ambitious engineers and researchers, SCK CEN aims to develop new medical radioisotopes and solve the nuclear waste issue. To help us achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for a project engineer with experience in remote handling, potentially in a nuclear environment. The successful applicant will join the MINERVA Target Facilities expert group with the following responsibilities:
- define the remote handling strategy and provide feedback to the design of various PTF system components that will be remotely manipulated.
- determine how the maintenance procedures of various components requiring remote maintenance could be implemented.
- finalize conceptual design of hot cells where these components are maintained and/or processed before being sent to waste streams.
- supervise and be accountable for basic design, detailed design, construction and commissioning of the hot cells.
- follow-up design, construction and commissioning of the main overhead bridge crane of the facility.
- perform design of the tools and adaptors that will connect the crane to the transported equipment.
- contribute to the integration of systems within PTF, managing different technical interfaces between systems, teams and groups.
- ensure that design complies with the normative framework defined in accordance with the safety classification of components.
To join this frontier, you'll need
- Master of Science degree in electromechanical engineering or equivalent.
- experience with design and/or operation of remote handling systems.
- in-depth knowledge of hot cell components and design features (experience in hot cell operation is an advantage).
- experience in remote handling in radioactive environments is an asset.
- good communication and coordination skills.
- ability to produce technical specifications and reports in English.
- experience with 3D CAD modelling environments.
- experience in producing technical drawings.