Accelerator Thermomechanical Design Engineer
- Deliver the design of beam intercepting devices/various beam dumps and the radiation shielding(s) surrounding these devices
- Define and implement the instrumentation and controls for the operation of these devices
- Integration with the accelerator equipment and the buildings
- Master Degree in (Industrial) Engineering (electromechanics, thermohydraulics ...)
Experience in the design of mechanical and thermal equipment?
Then read on!
SCK•CEN is recruiting a thermomechanical design engineer for all the activities related to beam intercepting devices, and in particular the design of the beam dumps. A common feature of these devices is that their interaction with the beam causes a strong radiation field leading to severe activation and the need for local shielding.
The Accelerator Thermomechanical Design Engineer will:
- Deliver the detailed mechanical and thermohydraulic designs of beam intercepting devices in general, of the various beam dumps in particular;
- Obtain the detailed design of the radiation shielding(s) surrounding these devices;
- Define and implement the required instrumentation and controls for the operation of these devices;
- Ensure the full integration with the accelerator equipment and with the buildings;
- Include the study and execution of the specific tools for installing, maintaining and exchanging these devices (including if necessary remote handling solutions);
- Interact intensively with the relevant safety services;
- Conduct and supervise the entire production and procurement processes of the devices;
- Participate in installation, tests and commissioning;
- Lead the operational supervision and maintenance of the devices and their ancillaries in view of optimized reliability;
- Conduct a permanent program of improvements and upgrading.
To join this frontier, you'll need
- Master degree in Industrial Engineering: electromechanics, thermohydraulics or similar;
- Knowledge of and/or experience with
- material science
- thermal modeling and analysis
- 5 years experience in the design of mechanical and thermal equipment;
- Practical knowledge of basic CFD modeling;
- Experience with the interaction of energetic protons with matter is an advantage;
- Good communication, coordination and reporting skills;
- Able to organize work autonomously;
- Good interpersonal skills and team spirit;
- Given the international environment you have a very good working knowledge in written and spoken technical English — knowledge of French or Dutch is an advantage;
- Willing to regularly commute between SCK workplaces (Louvain-la-Neuve and Mol);
- Willing to travel (up to 10%), periods of 1 to 2 weeks leave are possible.
Contact: patricia [dot] van [dot] pottelbergh [at] extern [dot] sckcen [dot] be (Patricia Van Pottelbergh), 014 33 83 14