SCK•CEN, is developing the design of the multi-purpose irradiation facility MYRRHA in order to replace the ageing BR2 reactor. MYRRHA, is a flexible fast spectrum research reactor (50-100 MWth) conceived as an accelerator driven system (ADS), able to operate in sub-critical and critical modes. It consists of a proton linear accelerator (LINAC) of 600 MeV, a spallation target and a multiplying core with MOX fuel, cooled by liquid lead-bismuth (Pb-Bi)
According to the implementation plan, a 100 MeV LINAC will be constructed first and shall be in a second stage upgraded to a 600 MeV accelerator connected to the MYRRHA reactor. This first phase consists of the development of a 100 MeV linear proton accelerator (ADT), a proton target facility (PTF) for the production of (medical) radioisotopes and ISOL-applications, and all auxiliary systems required to operate such facility, the so-called Balance of Plant (BOP).
The Accelerator Design and Test (ADT) Unit is responsible of the design, construction and commissioning of the 100 MeV superconducting LINAC, in collaboration with several national and international research and industrial partners. The ADT Unit is currently based at the Cyclotron Research Centre in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.
As Programme Manager you will be responsible for the management and implementation of the 100 MeV LINAC R&D program from the design to the construction phase at the SCK•CEN site:
- you manage and drive the design and implementation of the 100 MeV LINAC R&D program and coordinate the technical contributions of the involved national and international partners (research and industry);
- you manage all operational aspects in view of preparing the construction phase of the MYRRHA accelerator facility and ensure that the 100 MeV LINAC requirements/targets are met;
- you define the tasks and delegate them, you empower them to carry out the tasks, you monitor the implementation of the tasks within time and budget;
- you control the application of the scope of supply and manage the related scope variations, if any;
- you manage and monitor the time schedule, the budget and the risks of the 100 MeV LINAC program;
- you manage the interphases with the BOP and PTF activities and ensure that the 100 MeV LINAC safety requirements are met;
- you take care of the technical and commercial contacts with the partners and you define actions when appropriate;
- you ensure a regular reporting of the overall progress of the ADT activities to the Head of the Accelerator Project Expert group;
- you reinforce (or build) relationships with adequate industrial and research partners in the accelerator community;
- you are geographically located in the Cyclotron Research Centre in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium with frequent calls to the SCK•CEN HQ in Brussels and the SCK•CEN site in Mol.