Dismantling, Decontamination and Waste
The expert group Dismantling, Decontamination and Waste comprises 3 units:
- Dismantling and Decontamination
- Management of Waste and Liabilities
- Decontamination and Clean-up Processes
The Dismantling and Decontamination Unit
SCK•CEN has built a large know-how in decommissioning & decontamination (D&D), thanks to its BR3 decommissioning project. Selected in 1989 as European pilot decommissioning project by the European Commission within his Framework Programme, the BR3 project has allowed testing, comparing and qualifying various techniques for the decommissioning and decontamination of nuclear facilities. Moreover, data on cost, waste production and specific radioprotection topics have been accumulated throughout the project.
The expert group decommissioning & decontamination is specialized in a number of services:
- Project management, decommissioning plan, inventory and cost estimate
- Licencing aspects
- Decommissioning techniques
- Decontamination techniques and material management
- Fuel removal and evacuation
- Radioprotection optimisation
More information can be found in the section 'Our Services - Decommissioning & Decontamination'.
To open this leaflet in another language, please select your preferred language at the top right of this page.