In a conscious desire to increase its pool of highly specialized researchers and to tighten the links with the universities, SCK•CEN embarked in 1992 on a programme to support PhD candidates and post-doctoral researchers.
Preparing your doctoral thesis at the Belgian Nuclear Research Centre offers you the best of both worlds: you stay in close contact with the academic world and you enjoy a unique international research environment, with advanced nuclear experimental facilities and top-level guidance from our experts.
PhD students should register at a pre-defined university, depending on the topic of their PhD. They are employees of the university, however, they are based in Mol for the greater part of the time.
New topics available:
Important dates for the 2013 campaign:
Unless mentioned otherwise with the detailed description of the topic, the specific deadlines are as follows:
- Application files need to reach us the latest on March 25, 2013
- Candidates will be informed about the selection on file by May 1, 2013
- In case of a positive appraisal, you will be invited for an oral presentation in Mol on May 30 or May 31, 2013
- The final results of the selection procedure will be announced during the first week of June.
- When interested, it is advised to first contact the SCK•CEN mentor for further information
- Applications need to reach us via the website (“apply here” button indicated with each topic).
Your file needs to be accompanied by at least two reference letters, of which one must be from your final-year university supervisor (professor).
- Please note that your application will only be considered when all necessary documents and information are received by us.
- You can apply for maximum three topics indicated in the list of available topics.
- Deadline for application is strict, will not be postponed, and is mentioned in the section “timing”.
- Your file will be evaluated by the Scientific Council of SCK•CEN. When appraised positive, you will be invited to present your work (for the exact dates, see section “timing”). SCK•CEN does not foresee a reimbursement of travel or accommodation costs to travel to Mol, Belgium. We do offer a webconferencing system for foreign applicants who have difficulties to travel to Mol.
- Preference is given to students younger than 25 years old, holding a Master degree (or equivalent) with at least distinction in their final Master year.
- The final decision about your application will be taken after the oral presnetation, and will officially be announced soon after.
- All additional communication regarding this application procedure should go through email@example.com.