Sampling and preparation of samples in accordance with the applicable procedures:
- Follow up and, if necessary, adjust the work planning to take and prepare samples, taking into account all the specific prior condition;
- Follow up the daily work in the laboratory to guarantee a smooth and efficient work;
- Take samples of, for instance, grass, soil, surface water, rainwater and food at different locations in Belgium;
- Prepare samples by using various frequent laboratory techniques such as acidification, calcination, dilution, lyophilisation, radiochemical separations, preconcentration, …;
- Take samples and prepare them in case of a nuclear incident;
- Register samples and preparation parameters in the LIMS;
- Follow up the order and cleanliness in the laboratories and the sampling vehicles;
- Follow up the maintenance and calibration planning of the laboratory equipment;
- Problem solving of sampling equipment outside of SCK•CEN domain;
- Follow up and control measurement results for the monitoring programme of the authorities.
Upgrade and develop laboratory procedures:
- Adapt the working practices to ISO standards or new requirements (e.g. by using preconcentration techniques for achieving lower detection limits in nuclear measurements);
- Research on various sample preparation techniques based on their impact on radioactivity analysis;
- Draw up working instructions for sampling and sample preparation which use newly purchased measuring equipment.
Provide support to the head of laboratory Neutronen Activeringsanalyse:
- Prepare samples in accordance with the applicable procedures;
- Measure gamma spectra;
- Carry out basic computation;
- Carry out quality assessments;
- Prepare reports for internal and external customers.