SCK•CEN comprises 3 scientific institutes:
>> More info on our Science Platform
A fourth institute focuses on providing support to the three scientific institutes:
- The Institute for General Services and Administration
The organisation chart
The Management Committee, led by the Director-General, takes care of the daily running of the operations. The Management Committee consists of the heads of the various institutes and units.
- Eric van Walle: Director-General
- Frank Hardeman: Deputy Director-General
- Hamid Aït Abderrahim: Deputy Director-General
- Christian Legrain: Secretary-General and Institute Manager of the General Services & Administration
- Leo Sannen: Institute Director of Nuclear Materials Sciences
- Peter Baeten: Institute Director of Advanced Nuclear Systems
- Hildegarde Vandenhove: Institute Director of Environment, Health and Safety
Corporate governance regulations
Board of Governors
As the highest authority, the Board of Governors is responsible for the smooth running of SCK•CEN. The Board of Governors sets SCK•CEN’s strategic course and is authorised to perform the following: the work programme, annual budgets, organisation chart, accounts, major financial decisions etc.
Membership of the Board of Directors
The Executive Committee
The Executive Committee consists of members from the Board of Governors who follow the execution of any decisions that have been taken and prepare the Board of Governors’ meetings.
Membership of the Executive Committee
The role of the Scientific Council (WAC) is to advise the Board of Governors and the Management Committee. This advisory body focuses on the scientific and societal aspects of the SCK•CEN operations. The advisory service also includes education and training, communication, networking and development of the scientific research. In addition, the Scientific Council (WAC) also assesses the quality of the research conducted by SCK•CEN.
Membership of the Scientific Council
The Belgian Nuclear Research Centre is a foundation of public utility, with a legal status according to private law, that operates under the tutorship of the Belgian Minister in charge of Energy.