Advanced Nuclear Systems
By combining a multi-disciplinary team, experimental facilities and simulation tools, the general mission of the Advanced Nuclear Systems (ANS) institute is to:
- Develop a large scale fast spectrum experimental facility MYRRHA of European dimensions on the SCK•CEN site in Mol by completing the conceptual design, preparing for the construction and running the necessary R&D support programme.
- Enlarge the knowledge on technological and economical aspects in the domain of GEN IV reactors, with a specific focus on the Lead Fast Reactor.
- Contribute to fusion research within the ITER, DEMO and IFMIF projects and prepare SCK•CEN to become a partner in the realisation of large components for ITER.
- Develop and test technologies, measurement techniques, instrumentation and experimental devices for present-day and innovative material testing reactors such as the BR2 reactor, the Jules Horowitz reactor and the MYRRHA facility.
- Provide assistance and support to the nuclear industry and authorities at national and international level.
ANS will accomplish its goals in synergy with the NMS and EHS institutes of SCK•CEN by making use of their expertise and facilities or by providing them support and assistance to meet their goals.
Leaflet ANS (581 kB)
More detailed information about the institute ANS and its expert groups and research can be found in the section 'Our Research - Advanced Nuclear Systems'.